Through My Lens.. Vol 1

Whoever "they" is, "they" say a picture is worth a thousand words. For every person, no one is reading the same thousand words. Everyone sees things through a different perspective. A lens. 

I am the one behind the camera giving people something to read, letting them determine what it means to them. With my photos, people get a taste of how I see the world, through my lens(es). The message imbedded in my photos however is as mysterious as my own identity. 

You don't know me... but you can call me K. 

It is difficult to define yourself as a photographer. It is an industry where there are so many other people fighting for the same thing.... exposure! Get it? See what I did there? ;) You fill up space on your SD cards, spend hours and hours of your time editing when you should be getting 8 hours of sleep. But all you can think about is how you're going to get your name out there. 

You have to be different or people won't give you attention. What sets you aside from the rest? What do you have to offer? I cannot tell you how many times I’ve asked myself these questions. I myself am struggling (as much as I hate to admit it) in finding my own identity as a photographer. I don't want to shoot just one thing. I want to shoot everything. But I want to find my niche and gain a reputation for the subject I shoot best. 

That "they" guy... or gal... also say "A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one." Which is honestly the thing that I think keeps me from finding just one thing to shoot. 

But I am determined to find out who I am as a photographer. Throughout my life, I have had amazing opportunities to travel the world go on some pretty crazy trips. I have climbed diamond head mountain in Hawaii, flown through the air on the steepest zipline in the world in St. Martín, stepped on a 10,000-year-old glacier in the middle of summer in Canada. 

But this… this will be my greatest adventure yet. 

But with all great stories and adventures, let’s go back to the very beginning. Vol. 1. Growing up, my dad was always behind a camera filming and taking photos of our family. It was hard to get him in front of the camera because he was so busy trying to capture all of the important moments in me and my sister’s life. 

And I said “was”… because he passed away when I was a junior in high school from cancer. But in the 17 years I had with him, he taught me a few things about cameras. So, I guess you could say I get my love for photography from him. More than anything I was he was still here because I’m sure now that I’m studying what I’m studying in school, we’d talk hours upon hours about cameras and gear and all kinds of things. But sadly, this journey is one I have to take on my own, without him :( 

Orrrrrrr. I have a better idea. You're coming with me.

 

Are you ready? 

-K

Comments